List was approved, sent to all reps via email. I have Teams
and Zoom meetings for the next three days to discuss these
recommendations and generally get their feedback on my findings.
Read about historic underachievement in education in Northern Ireland and its root causes. I have recent knowledge of the GCSE/AS/A Levels systems and how disrupted they were by Covid. It’s sad, but not entirely unexpected, that 52.5% of kids from a poorer background leave school without 5 GCSEs at the grades needed to enter the workforce.
Have decided to look at the courses offered by the SRC and other local FE/HE colleges in NI. I was surprised to find only 7 in the country, so I chose Belfast Met and SERC in Lisburn because they had a comparable number of IT courses on offer. Most of the non-agricultural colleges in the country have satellite campuses in the South East (between Newry and Bangor) leaving most of the West and North West completely underserved. I spent my day looking through the SERC’s website and making notes on those that were level 2 and over, the course delivery, length, cost, what qualifications were earned and where the course progressed. A lot of them were not offered in all satellite campuses, and none of them were offered online.
Finished reading about Project Stratum, a huge investment project by the government to provide more homes with fast broadband speeds. The more I read, the smarter the E-learning platform is, and at the best time. It could get a lot of unemployed/housebound people back into the workforce.
Comments
Post a Comment